Monday, February 19, 2007

Money for Sholing

Speeding Traffic Along Middle Road

For the past three years I have been working hard to persuade the city council to tackle the problem of speeding traffic along Middle Road. I have secured £60,000 in funding for this in this years Budget. I believe that reducing speeding along Middle Road is a top priority, especially because of the number of school children that use the road.

Despite repeated calls from both local residents and myself, the Labour backed Lib Dem Council has done nothing to resolve the matter.

I am very interested in your views as what sort of scheme you feel would be most appropriate. I want to make sure that a local solution can be found that is supported by local people. I would therefore be very grateful if you would let me know what you think by either emailing me or calling me.

1 comment:

ian.kad said...

Hi Gavin,

We chatted on my doorstep today (mostly about planning!) - but I note your issue with speed in Middle Road.
I share your concern - and it's a problem with also have outside St Monica Infant School, on the bend where Kathleen Road becomes St Monica Road (by Trohy Man). We (the governors) have asked the council safer roads team to investigate a radar controlled sign which flashes up warning speeds (such as in Spring Road) - but copies ones found in Portsmouth in school zones, which also flashes the "SCHOOL" road sign to anyone speeding.
We've a blind corner with hundreds of children crossing - and if the crossing patrol is not there - you take your life in your hands!
If you've any thoughts - or if you get any good ideas in your Middle Road study - please let me know (ian.kad@lineone.net)
Thanks,

Ian Knight
Governor - St Monica Infant School